In cricket, One Day International matches are the most fun to watch. We have seen a lot of teams scoring a huge score in the 50 overs. In the ODI history, there have been twenty times where teams scored more than 400 runs in ODI. Though the other teams couldn’t chase it most of the time. We have listed the top five of such ODI scores that were chased in the second innings.
5. India vs Australia (359 Runs) – In 2019, Australia toured India for ODI. In the fourth ODI, Australia recorded their highest runs match. The match was played in Mohali. India won the toss and chose to bat for the first innings. Indian team scored 358 runs in the match. Rohit Sharma opened and scored 95 runs off 92 balls. Shikhar Dhawan alongside hit 143 runs in 115 deliveries and Rishabh Pant scored a 24-ball 36.
It was a slow start by Australia in the second innings. David Warner got out without making a single run by Bhuvneshwar Kumar. However, Peter Handscomb hit a 100, Usman Khawaja hit 84 runs and Ashton Turner scored 84 runs which helped Australia win the match by four wickets. Australia chased the score in 47.5 overs. Australia’s Ashton Turner received the Man of the Match award.
4. India Vs Australia (362 Runs) – In 2013’s Australia tour of India, the huge score of 359 runs was chased. It was a seven-match ODI series with one T20 match. In the second ODI match at Jaipur, the Australia team came to bat first and scored 359 runs in the first innings. Each of the first 5 players of the Australian team hit a half-century and made such a big score.
In the second innings, Rohit Sharma hit 141 runs in 123 balls and Virat Kohli scored 100 runs in 52 deliveries. The rest of the score was made by Shikhar Dhawan. India scored 362 runs with 3 balls to spare. They won the match by eight wickets. It was the highest run chase in ODI by India. Rohit Sharma received the Man of the Match award for his fantastic show. It was one of the biggest ODI wins by India.
3. England vs West Indies (364 Runs) – In 2019, England toured West Indies for an ODI series. In the first innings, West Indies got to bat first in which they hit 360 runs. Their star player Chris Gayle hit 135 runs. Shai Hope hit 64 runs and Darren Bravo hit 40. It was a great performance by West Indies players. Gayle hit 12 sixes in the match.
West Indies though they already won the match. However, England has something different planned. England’s Jason Roy and Joe Root hit centuries helped them easily beat West Indies by six wickets. Jason Roy was awarded Man of the Match.
2. Australia vs South Africa (372 Runs) – In Australia’s tour of South Africa in 2016, it was a third ODI match where South Africa recorded their second biggest run chase with 371 runs. In the first innings, Australia came to bat first and scored 371 runs with the help of centuries from David Warner and Steve Smith.
It was a big target but South Africa easily chased it down in 49.2 overs. From South Africa, David Miller hit 118 runs in 79 balls with 10 fours and 6 sixes. Quinton De Kock hit 70 runs off 49 deliveries and Hashim Amla scored 45 runs in 30 deliveries. David Miller’s fantastic performance got him the Man of the Match award.
1. Australia vs South Africa (438 Runs) – The highest ever run chase in ODI was also recorded by South Africa, also against the same team Australia. It was one of the greatest matches that we ever witnessed. The match was played in 2006 in Johannesburg. Australian team chose to bat first where they hit 434 runs with losing 6 wickets.
Their captain Ricky Ponting hit 164 runs off 105 balls which helped the team reach such a massive score. No one would have thought that South Africa would chase such a big target. it was already a celebration time for Australia. However, the odds were not in the favour of Australia.
In the second innings, South African captain Graeme Smith hit 90 runs in 55 deliveries. Herschelle Gibbs hit 175 runs off 111 deliveries. South Africa won the match by 1 wicket with a score of 438 runs. It was the highest target in ODI which has got chased.