The Pakistani Skipper Babar Azam scored his first T20 International century against South Africa in the third match of the T20I series yesterday. Azam took just 59 deliveries to smash 122 runs. Pakistan was chasing a big target, and this knock from their Skipper helped the men in green register a big win over Proteas.
South Africa scored 203 runs in their quota of 20 overs. In reply, the visitors chased this mammoth target because of Azam’s brilliance and Mohammad Rizwan’s useful contribution of 73 runs of 45 balls.
Babar Azam broke the top seven records during his marathon knock in the game’s shortest format. Babar Azam has surpassed Chris Gayle and Rohit Sharma in these records.
- A captain’s highest score in a run chase – The 122 runs which Babar scored is the highest score by a captain in the T20 International matches during a run chase. Paras Khadaka was the only captain to hit a ton during a run chase. The Skipper of Nepal scored an unbeaten 106 runs.
- THE fastest T20 Hundred by a Pakistani player – Ahmed Shahzad, held the record of scoring the fastest ton in the shortest format before Babar Azam. Shahzad scored his T20 International century in 58 balls. Now this record is in the name of the Pakistani captain. During his marathon knock of 122 runs, Azam scored his hundred in just 49 balls.
- The highest Individual score in T20Is by an Asian Captain – Babar Azam also created this spectacular feat during his match-winning run knock against South Africa. Now the knock of 122 runs is the highest score by an Asian captain in T20Is. Babar Azam went past Rohit Sharma’s 118 runs. Hit Man scored had played this knock when he led the Indian Cricket Team against Sri Lanka in 2017.
- Second Most Boundaries in an Innings – During his scintillating knock of 122 runs. Azam had smashed 15 fours and four sixes. He has joined second the list for hitting the second most boundaries in T20 International innings. Aaron Finch, the Aussie limited-overs captain, still holds this record. Finch had smashed 16 boundaries in a single T20I inning, which is the most in the shortest format.
- Second Highest score by a player in a T20I game during a run chase – Babar has already smashed a record for the highest score as a captain during the run chase in T20Is. Now his 122 run knock is the second-highest score in a run chase as a player. The highest score during a run chase in T20Is is held by Evin Lewis, who played a majestic knock of 125 runs against India in 2017.
- Highest T20I individual score against South Africa – Babar Azam also broke this record of the Universal Boss, Chris Gayle. His 122 run knock is the highest individual score by any player in the shortest format against South Africa. Chris Gayle had played an amazing knock of 117 runs, which was the highest score then. But now, Babar Azam holds this list.