Test cricket has always been a life-changing experience for cricketers as a lot of players have made their name and career in test matches. Though test matches do not allow players to hit runs as they do in One Day matches and T20s because they have to stay on the pitch for a long time and save the wicket, unlike T20 and ODI where they have to make runs rather than caring about the wicket. Currently, India is playing a test match against England where 3 matches have already been played and India is leading with 2 wins. Though the last test got concluded in just 2 days even after having a tenure of 5 days as the Australian players got out very quickly and team India hit their score out. Young bowler Axar Patel took six wickets in the match, Ravichandran Ashwin took three. Even the England team’s captain took five wickets. the current scenario of test cricket has changed a lot unlike earlier players get out very quickly. Earlier players used to stand on the pitch for days without getting out. Now, players care more about strike rate and maximums and this makes them getting out very soon. We have five players who played the most balls in the test cricket history.
TOP 5 PLAYERS WHO HAVE PLAYED MOST BALLS IN TEST CRICKET
5. Allan Border – Allan Border is an Australian player who was a captain of the Australian Cricket Team once. He was one of the best captains the Australia team ever had. He was a very good batsman and has played for Australia for 17 long years. In his 17 year career between 1978 to 1994, he had played around 27000 balls and spent more than 35000 minutes on the pitch. Also with such a long time staying on the pitch, he has a score of 27 centuries and 63 half-centuries in 156 test matches. The border was one of the finest players by Australia and the consistency that he had helped him to stay on the pitch for such a long time saving his wicket.
4. Shivnarine Chanderpaul – The second player on the list in West Indies captain Shivnarine Chanderpaul. The player has played more than 150 test matches in his cricket journey. In his 21 years career in cricket, he has a score of more than 11000 runs in 164 test matches which makes an average of 51.4 runs per match. Chanderpaul was the first Indo – Caribbean to play more than 100 test matches in life and he is the only player from the West Indies team so far to play more than 27000 balls in his cricket career. He was there on the pitch for more than 37000 minutes which makes him 4th on the list of players who have played most balls in test cricket.
3. Jacques Kallis – The third in the list is none other than South Africa’s all-rounder Jacques Kallis. Kallis is the only player in the world to have scored 10000 runs and also taking 250 wickets in test matches and ODI matches. Talking about the number of balls that he faced, the player has played more than 28000 deliveries and spent more than 38000 minutes on the pitch in his career of 18 years from 1995 to 2013. Kallis has a score of more than 13000 runs in 166 test matches. The player has made numerous records to his name too along with staying on the pitch for so long.
2. Sachin Tendulkar – The master blaster of cricket, the legendary Indian batsman Sachin Tendulkar comes second on the list. Sachin has played more than 29000 deliveries in test cricket in his cricket career where he was on the pitch for more than 40000 minutes. He has played 200 test matches in his cricket career of 24 years where he scored almost 16000 runs.
1. Rahul Dravid – The Indian batsman Rahul Dravid, also known as “The Wall”, tops the list. He is one of the most dependable players that the Indian team ever had. Dravid has played more than 31000 deliveries in his test career where he scored 13288 runs in total. In his cricket career of 16 years from 1996 to 2012, he was on the pitch for more than 730 hours.
It might not sound funs standing on the pitch for such a long time and not scoring runs, but it takes too much patience and strength to stay there for so long which a lot of the players in the current scenario do not have.
So, which one of the five players is your favorite?