The Indian Premier League is one of the biggest T20 tournaments that any country’s cricket board has ever held. Since its beginning in 2008, the popularity of IPL has increased over the years and is currently one of the most-watched and followed leagues in cricket.
So far, 14 seasons of the tournament have been played and the Mumbai Indians teams top the list of the highest number of wins with winning the IPL title for 5 times. The second position is held by the Chennai Super Kings team who have won 3 IPL trophies.
IPL is also one of those tournaments, where one of the biggest records have been made and we have seen some of the best performances from players around the world. We have listed the top 5 IPL teams that have the highest number of sixes recorded in the history of the tournament.
5. Kolkata Knight Riders – Kolkata Knight Riders won their first IPL title in the fifth season of the tournament. The franchise is owned by actors Shah Rukh Khan and Juhi Chawla. KKR has recorded a total of 1111 sixes in 14 seasons with 207 matches played. Gautam Gambhir has been their most valuable player as a batsman.
Under his captaincy, the team won the IPL title twice. He is the highest scorer for KKR with 3035 runs. On the bowling side, Sunil Narine is the highest wicket-taker with 143 wickets. KKR is a team that has the record of the longest winning streak in IPL with 14 consecutive wins. KKR has won the IPL twice in history.
4. Chennai Super Kings – on the fourth position, we have Chennai Super Kings with 1174 sixes in 192 innings. CSK has been suspended for two years due to the betting involvement of owners. Still, they have recorded more sixes than the other four teams. They have won the IPL trophy four 4 times. The team is led by former Indian captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni.
Out of 14 seasons, the team has qualified in the playoffs 11 times and in the finals 9 times which is higher than any other team. Their highest scorer is Suresh Raina with 4654 runs in 167 innings. The highest sixes in CSK were hit by the captain MS Dhoni (187). Ruturaj Gaikwar from CSK has hit a six of distance 108 meters which is the highest six in IPL. Dwayne Bravo top the highest wicket-takers list with 116 wickets.
3. Punjab Kings – Punjab Kings holds the third position with recording 1187 sixes in 206 innings. The team is owned by Ness Wadia and Preity Zinta. The current captain of Punjab Kings is KL Mayank Agarwal. Unfortunately, Punjab Kings has never won the IPL title ever.
They have even qualified to playoffs only once. They have some of the best players on the team including KL Rahul and Chris Gayle. The highest scorer of the team is KL Rahul with 2548 and 110 sixes. their highest wicket-taker is Piyush Chawla who has taken 84 wickets in 87 innings.
2. Royal Challengers Bangalore – RCB is considered as one of the most unfortunate teams in IPL. Despite having one of the best players on the team, they have never won the IPL title. Though they have finished as runner-up three times in history. The team holds the record for highest and lowest score in single innings – 263/5 and 49 runs respectively.
The team used to lead by Virat Kohli who stepped down from his captaincy after IPL 2021. Kohli is the highest scorer of RCB with 6283 runs and the highest sixes were hit by Chris Gayle – 239. However, IPL’s most sixes have also been recorded by Chris Gayle. He has hit 355 sixes in his IPL career so far. The highest wicket-taker is Yuzvendra Chahal with 139 wickets in 112 innings. The team has recorded a total of 1282 sixes in 217 innings.
1. Mumbai Indians – The team with the highest number of IPL titles is also the team with the most sixes in the IPL history. Mumbai Indians have recorded 1318 sixes in 217 matches. The Mumbai Indians team is led by Rohit Sharma and owned by Reliance Industries. MI has recorded 5 IPL wins and 2 Champions league T20 wins. Sri Lankan former player Lasith Malinga is the highest wicket-taker of MI with 170 wickets in 122 innings. In batting, Rohit Sharma tops the list with 4441 runs in 164 matches.
Frequently Asked Questions
Most Sixes In Ipl In One Match
The West Indies star Chris Gayle has hit most sixes in a single IPL inning. In IPL 2013, Chris Gayle scored 175* runs in a match against Pune Warriors India. In the match, he hit 17 sixes which is the highest in IPL history.
Total Sixes In Ipl
Since 2008, the Indian Premier League has recorded a total of 8899 sixes in 14 seasons.
Who Will Hit Most Sixes In 2022 Ipl?
At this point, it won’t be possible to say who will hit most runs or most sixes in the next season of IPL. However, we are hoping that someone among KL Rahul, Faf Du Plessis, and Ruturaj Gaikwad will it most sixes in the next season as those three were the top three players with most sixes in the previous season.
Also Read: Ind Vs Nz T20 Dream 11 Prediction