Royal Challengers Bangalore started their IPL 2021 campaign with a two-wicket over the defending champions, Mumbai Indians.
The first of the Indian Premier League 2021 season was itself a thrilling one. It was a healthy competition between bat and ball, where Virat and his Royal Challengers Bangalore team emerged as the winners of this game. RCB has started their IPL 2021 season with a two-wicket win over MI.
This win for RCB was the first-ever in an opening game of the Indian Premier League. RCB had many heroes of this win. Harshal Patel was the chief architect with the ball for Bangalore. He took five wickets in the match where Mumbai Indians batted first after the challengers opted to bowl first.
Harshal Patel made a good comeback after his first delivery of the went for a free hit. Chris Lynn, the MI, and the Aussies opener made full of that ball, and he put it into the empty stands of Chennai. Patel’s first over went for fifteen runs as MI look to counterattack after Rohit Sharma was run out early in the innings.
I had made up for the slow start as Suryakumar and Chris Lynn scored 53 runs from the next four overs. The defending champions had managed just 24 from the first four overs of their innings as Lynn was struggling to deal with the pace and bounce of the slow at Chennai. But MI got their mojo back after Surya walked to the crease.
MI scored 94 runs from the 11 overs. But SKY was dismissed for 31 runs from 23 balls, resulting in only 24 runs from the last four overs. The hard hitters of Mumbai Indians, Hardik Pandya, Kieron Pollard, and Krunal Pandya, didn’t manage to kick on for the five-time champions.
It was a brilliant last over from Harshal Patel, which allowed MI to score 159 runs. Harshal Patel bowled a good last over, and he picked up a five-wicket haul as well. Patel become the only bowler to pick up a five fer against the defending champions and the most IPL trophy winners Mumbai Indians.
In the run chase, RCB didn’t get the desired start. They opened the innings with Washington Sundar and Virat Kohli and promoted Rajat Patidar. But that didn’t work for them. Sundar scored ten runs, and Patidar was dismissed on just eight runs. Then skipper Kohli and Maxwell brought the innings on track.
They shared a partnership that helped RCB to be in the contest. But I was back into the game when Bumrah dismissed the Indian and the RCB captain, Virat Kohli, for 33 runs. Then Marco Jansen dismissed the Aussie all-rounder, Glenn Maxwell, for 39 runs.
It was all upto the South Africa star AB De Villiers to take the RCB side home. ABD was with the young rising star Harshal Patel as both of them took the side over the line on the last ball of the match. ABD was unbeaten on 48 runs, and Patel was not on four runs.
The MI bowlers bowled well especially, Marco Jansen and Jasprit Bumrah were class apart. But they also needed the bowling services of Hardik Pandya, and Rohit Sharma could have used Bumrah and Boult a bit better to win the first game.
MI continues their tradition of losing the opening matches of IPL. Rohit and his men lost this thrilling match by two wickets. These are the top 10 records of the first match of the IPL 2020 season –
- Mumbai Indians have lost the opening matches ninth back-to-back times since 2013. In 2012 they won their first match of an IPL season. That match was played against Chennai Super Kings.
- Royal Challengers Bangalore has finished the ball on the last ball only twice. They did this first time against Pune Warriors India in the IPL 2012 season.
- Harshal Patel had an IPL match to remember. He is the only player to pick a five-wicket haul against Mumbai Indians, who have the most trophies, and they are also the defending champions of this season. Harshal Patel also became the third RCB bowler to take a five-wicket haul in IPL matches.
- RCB won the first game in an IPL opener. Previously they have lost three games whenever they have played in the opening matches of this cash-rich league tournament.
- Virat Kohli has achieved two big milestones in this match. He has completed 6000 T20 runs as a captain, and he is the first player to do so. He has also scored the most runs while a run chase in the IPL. Kohli has scored 2753 runs, which surpassed the record of Robin Uthappa, who scored 2724 runs.
- Yuzvendra Chahal played his 100th IPL match for RCB. But his performance wasn’t a memorable one. He gave away 41 runs without picking up a wicket.
- Glenn Maxwell played a vital match-winning knock for RCB in the first match of th IPL 2021 season. In the last season, he didn’t hit a single six. But here he smashed two sixes when he played a knock of 39 runs which he scored off 28 balls.
- MI was on a five-match winning streak at MA Chidambaram Stadium, and RCB was on five losing streaks. But the previous record didn’t matter as RCB has turned the table this time.