The ICC took a decision and carried forward the Women’s World Cup in February and March from next year to 2022 due to the COVID-19 epidemic. And Heather Knight said that a practical decision is taken by him to postpone the postponement of WC.
With the postponement of the Women’s ODI World Cup in 2021, Captain Heather is thinking that this decision of the ICC will not be an excuse for backwardness for national women’s cricket.
She said that the ICC’s decision to pursue it from February-March in 2022 from next year is good to be safe in the epidemic.
Later she posts a comment in her twitter account that “Pretty gutted, to be honest. I know tough decisions have to be made right now & it would have taken a lot of work (and $), but it was feasible in NZ,” she tweeted. “Hopefully it’s not an excuse for boards to put women’s cricket on the back burner for the next 12 months with no WC to prepare for.”
So far New Zealand has about 1570 active cases in which a large proportion of coronavirus has also been recovered, making them one of the least affected countries in the world. They planned to host the premiere tournament from 6 February to 7 March next year.
With the teleconference at the ICC Board meeting on Friday, they decided to delay the ODI of the 12th edition of the Women’s World Cup.
“We have taken the decision to move the Women’s World Cup to give players from every competing nation, the best opportunity to be ready for the world’s biggest stage and there is still a global qualifier to complete to decide the final three teams,” Manu Sawhney, the ICC’s chief executive, had said.
To maintain the integrity of the Cricket World Cup by giving 12 months to all the competing teams to play the event with their best adaptation to play the game to the best level in cricket.
The remaining last three slots have been decided in the qualifying tournament. India, South Africa, Australia, England and hosts New Zealand are already eligible for the tournament to play the Women’s World Cup in 2022.