As they say, following your dreams can get you success, not only can it get you success, but also all the other things that you ever dreamt of. Cricket is one of those million dreams. A huge number of people in the world wants to become a cricketer and many of them successfully become one.
Though all of them never get to play in the international team, still they get to a certain level which they deserve. As the competition in cricket is too high and there are only 11 players that play in the game, it takes a lot of hard work and dedication to become a successful cricket.
One needs to put all that he got to become a great player. There have been a lot of players who got their chance to play in the international teams, many of them seized the opportunity and got everything that they ever wanted.
On the other hand, many of them screwed up and got back to where they came from. The problem in cricket is the same that people face in jobs, one mistake and you are out of the game, as there are many waiting in the line for their turns.
There are a lot of players who were not able to make both ends meet and now millionaires. We will be discussing ten such players who got the highest salary that is ever paid to a cricketer.
TOP 10 HIGHLY PAID CRICKETERS IN THE WORLD
10. YUVRAJ SINGH – The 10th position in the list is held by none other than the great Yuvraj Singh. Almost every Indian who is a cricket fan might know him. In India, everyone remembers his six sixes in six balls in a T20 match against England. He put on a show that day. Yuvraj Singh used to play for in Indian cricket team in early 2000.
Yuvraj Singh started his career in the year 2002 and has also been vice-captain of the team for two years. He had made numerous records to his name in his career including hitting the fastest 50 in only 12 balls. He is also the first player in the world to take five wickets in a single world cup match.
Apart from making many records, he has also got many awards too including the Arjuna Award and Padma Shri award which are one of the highest awards in India. Also, he has his charity named ‘YouWeCan’ which has helped many cancer patients. Talking about his salary, he got 23.75 crores for this year for playing in the Indian cricket team and the IPL for Mumbai Indians.
9. Michael Clarke – Next on the list is Australian cricket captain Michael Clarke. Clarke is considered one of the best captains that the Australian cricket team ever had. Under Clarke’s captaincy, the Australian team won their 5th World Cup in the year 2015 against New Zealand.
He was a very good batsman of the time, he scores 151 runs in his debut match. He had many such huge scores made in his career. He scored 329 not out in 2012 against India in a Test series. Talking about the awards that he won he was awarded by Allan Border Medal which is considered the most prestigious award that can be given to a cricketer in Australia.
He got the award four times in his career. Clarke got retired from all forms of cricket in 2015. He is currently working as a commentator in different leagues, he was paid 3.9 million dollars this year for commenting and sponsorships.
8. Gautam Gambhir – the next position in the list is held by another former Indian player Gautam Gambhir. Gautam Gambhir has also retired from cricket in 2018. In his playing time, Gambhir was considered one of the best openers in cricket. He was a very good batsman and has pulled off big scores in his career.
In the year 2021, he has been paid 4.79 million dollars for multiple sponsorships and coaching the Delhi Capitals team. He is undoubtedly a great coach as the team was at the top of the points table before the Indian Premier League got postponed due to Coronavirus cases among players.
Apart from cricket, Gambhir is also a member of the Lok Sabha in India and has been awarded by Padma Shri in the year 2019. Also, he has a foundation named Gautam Gambhir Foundation which works for children to educate them and provide them basic needs like food and shelter.
7. Shane Watson – One of the greatest all-rounders from the Australian team, Shane Watson deserves to be on the list. He was the guy who kept playing even after getting injured in the finals of IPL 2019 in which he played for Chennai Super Kings and got the team trophy by scoring 80 runs off 59 balls.
Watson is undoubtedly a terrific guy, he can pull off any score if he gets settles on the pitch. Watson has also been the captain of the Australian team on multiple occasions. He was on the top of the ICC’s ranking table for 3 years in a row. About his earnings, Watson earned $5.5 million this year with multiple sponsorships and endorsements.
6. Shahid Afridi – the former captain of the Pakistani Cricket team, comes sixth in the list of top-paid cricketers in the world. Afridi is so far the second-highest wicket-taker in the world in T20 cricket with 98 wickets. After a long and outstanding career, he retired from international cricket in the year 2018. It does not mean that he has stopped playing cricket, he still plays for domestic leagues in Pakistan.
His endorsements in 2021 earned him around $5.42 million which is a very big amount. Apart from cricket, Afridi also runs a foundation to support different causes and to help society.
5. Virender Sehwag – We have another Indian Player on the list. One of the greatest players from the Indian cricket team, Virender Sehwag has earned $6.1 million this year in sponsorships and endorsements. He has some big brands in his portfolio including Adidas, JK Cement, Hero Etc.
Although he has retired from cricket, he is a guest commentator and often comments in matches for India. He also coached the IPL team Kings XI Punjab in the year 2018. He has also been awarded Arjuna Award and Padma Shri.
4. AB De Villers – Next on the list is the South African legendary player AB De Villiers. De Villiers is the man who can hit any ball in any direction. He is one of the greatest players that the world has ever seen. The total income of De Villers in the year 2021 is $6.4 million.
His sudden announcement of retirement from International cricket shocked the entire world last year. De Villers plays for the Royal Challengers Bangalore team in the Indian Premier League for which he get a hefty amount of money. He was paid $1.6 million for this season.
The rest of his earnings come through various endorsement deals including big brands like Puma, Audi, MRF, etc. De Villers was also one of the five players of the decade as per Wisden, the bible of cricket.
3. Chris Gayle – Next on the list comes the run machine from West Indies, none other than Chris Gayle. Gayle is one of the best batsmen that the world has ever seen. Gayle is so far the only player on earth to score more than 10000 runs in T20 cricket.
Also, most of the show that he put on was in the Indian Premier League. He has played for multiple teams in the IPL and has made some huge records to his name by playing in it.
Gayle has more than 25 records in his name in cricket. He has also won a ton of awards in his cricket career. He also has opened an academy for helping out disadvantaged children and providing help to young talents.
2. Mahendra Singh Dhoni – It looks like India considers cricket as the best game than any other country in the world. Indians earn a lot in cricket. We have another Indian player, the legend MS Dhoni. After Dhoni became the captain of the Indian Team, a lot of things have changed, especially India’s position at the world level in cricket.
MS Dhoni’s overall earnings for the year 2021 is $21.7 million which is three times more than the next ranker Chris Gayle. Dhoni is also one of the top 10 richest cricketers in the world. Dhoni is undoubtedly a very good player and a great captain too.
He is a brilliant wicket-keeper and a batsman. Dhoni is the calmest person on the ground. Also, Dhoni is one of those few players on whom a movie has been made and went blockbuster.
1. Virat Kohli – Undoubtedly the first position is held by the very smart, the very talented Virat Kohli, one of the fittest players in the world. Not only Kohli is a fit guy, but he is also a brilliant batsman. The Indian team is currently under Virat Kohli’.
Virat Kohli’s total income for this year including his IPL salary is $24 million. So, Virat Kohli’s yearly income is around 160 crores rupees, which undoubtedly makes him the highest salary paid person in India. Kohli has his apparel brand too. About awards and recognitions, Virat Kohli has been awarded Arjuna Award, Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna, and Padma Shri.
Kohli has scored more than 12000 runs in One Day International cricket and more than 3000 runs in T20 cricket. His top score in the test is 254 runs not out, which is one of the best. Other than that, he also helps in charity and donations. He donated all of his earnings from the Indian Premier League 2021 to the Indian government for helping Covid-19 patients.
WORLD’S RICHEST CRICKETERS
Even though we have already named the top 10 highly paid cricketers in the world, there is still one player who didn’t get the highest salary but he is the richest cricketer in the world. His name is Sachin Tendulkar, the idol of every cricket aspirant.
Sachin Tendulkar is considered the ‘God of Cricket’. He has a net worth of around 1100 crores which not only makes him the richest cricketer in India but the richest cricketer in the world. Most of his earnings come from multiple brand endorsements that he has.
About his cricket career, Sachin has scored more than 34000 runs in his cricket career and hit 100 centuries. He has also been awarded the most prestigious awards in India including Padma Shri, Arjuna Award, Padma Vibhushan, Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna, and Bharat Ratna.
So, which of the above-mentioned players is your favourite?