Indian cricket has released a lot of great players in past and some of them have made history too. Taking about the cricketers, all-rounders have always played a very vital role for the team as they are the ones who can both bowl as well as bat, So their presence in the team just makes the team stronger. Though, there are very few players who have made a century and took five wickets, both in the same match. It’s also a dream for all-rounders to do that because their contribution can make a big contribution to the team. Though, there have been instances when Indian players took five wickets and hit a century in the same match.
FIVE INSTANCES WHEN PLAYERS TOOK FIVE WICKETS AND HIT A CENTURY
- Vinoo Mankad in India vs England, 1952- Vinoo Mankad, the man behind Mankad rule, had given big contributions to the team India in his career. In a test match against England in 1952, the player hit 72 runs in the first innings and 112 runs in the second one with taking five wickets in the first innings. Though it was a big contribution from Vinoo, unfortunately, the team lost the match.
- Polly Umrigar in India vs West Indies in 1962- It was a match against West Indies in the year 1962 when Polly showed his amazing batting skills by hitting 56 runs in the first innings and 172 runs in the second one. He so took 5 wickets in the match by giving 107 runs. Even after such a great performance by Vinoo, the team, unfortunately, lost the match by seven wickets.
- Ravicharan Ashwin in India vs West Indies in 2011- Ravicharan Ashwin is no doubt one of the best players that Indian Cricket ever had. In the test match against West Indies, the player scored 103 runs in the first innings with taking 5 wickets. Despite his efforts, he could only lead the team to a tie.
- Ravicharan Ashwin in India vs West Indies in 2016- The player scored 113 runs in the first innings of the test along with taking whopping seven wickets in the second innings. It was a win for the team of India.
- Ravicharan Ashwin in India vs England in 2021- Ashwin nailed the performance three times. In the test against England, he hit a century in the second innings and took five wickets in the first one.